The berries and flowers of Elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that may boost your immune system. They could help tame inflammation, lessen stress, and help protect your heart as well. Some experts recommend Elderberry to help prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms.
Elderberries contain many vitamins and nutrients that can benefit people’s health.
One couple of elderberries contain 106 calories and 26.68 grams of carbohydrates. A cup also includes the following vitamins and minerals:
- 870mg of vitamin A
- 406mg of potassium
- 52.2mg of vitamin C
- 9mg of folate
- 55mg of calcium
- 2.32mg of iron
Elderberries are also an excellent source of fiber, containing 10.2g of dietary fiber per cup.
The Elder Flower tree provided the woods for Christ’s Cross. The shakers used it as a medicinal herb. It was such a healthy plant that 17th-century herbalist John Evelyn called it a remedy “against all infirmities what-so-ever.”
Although Elderberry tea has been employed for generations as a folk remedy for such conditions as colds, coughs, and cases of flu, it has only been in recent years that scientists discovered that Elderberries contain Viburnic acid. This substance induces perspiration, which is helpful in cases of bronchitis and similar ailments.
One of the most commonly used medicinal plants in the world is the Elderberry.
This plant has been traditionally used by the indigenous people to treat fever and rheumatism; the ancient Egyptians also used it to improve their complexions and for healing burns.
The berries are used as Folk remedies across many parts of Europe.
Elderberry is one of the most popular supplements to take in treating colds and flu symptoms.
Elderberries are also a rich source of Vitamin C and antioxidants in phenolic acids, flavonols, and anthocyanin.
- Heart Health ( Studies have shown Elderberry juice May reduce fat in the blood and decrease cholesterol. Also, a diet high in flavonoids like anthocyanins have been shown to cut the risk for heart disease.)
- Cancer Fighter( One study concluded that colon cancer cells with Elderberry extract that is high in anthocyanins, which inhibited cancer cell growth. The extract causes apoptosis, or cell death.)
- Antidepressant ( S study found that mice fed 544 mg of Elderberry extract per pound had a more elevated mood and performance.)
- Protector against UV radiation ( Skin products containing Elderberry extract were found to have a protective compound against sun exposure.)
- Fights harmful Bacteria ( The Elderberry has been found to inhibit the growth of bacteria such ad Helicobacter pylon and can also improve symptoms of bronchitis.)
- Prevent Colds and Flus( There was a trial that had people experiencing flu-like symptoms take lozenges containing 175 mg of Elderberry extract four times a day for two days. After 24 hours, they reported less fever, nasal congestion, muscle pain, and headaches.)